Is your bed feeling a bit lumpy? A bit limp? Does your back ache all day at work? Maybe it’s time to buy a new mattress. Here are some tips for mattress shopping:
1. Take advantage of white sales. You’ll frequently find discounts from December to February and from June to September.
2. Look for private labels to save up to 25%. Though name-brand bedding is more popular, you can find similar-quality mattresses or box springs from lesser-known companies. Ask your retailer what they’ve got in the “back room.”
3. Watch out for extra thick mattresses. If you buy one that is 3″ to 5″ thicker than traditional, you’ll have to buy special bedding for it, as your current stuff won’t fit.
4. Check the coil count, since mattresses with more coils will keep their shape longer. A full-size mattress should have at least 300 coils, a queen 375, and a king 450.
5. Try out all the mattresses in the showroom to help you to decide which is most comfortable. Don’t just sit on the edge of the bed. Lie down, grab a pillow, and assume the position!
6. Check for a sturdy ticking on the mattress covering. It should have a pattern that’s woven instead of printed.
7. Consider a mattress with a handle for easy turning.
8. Consider mattresses with plastic corner guards, as they can protect the bed from scratches and nicks.
9. When you’re shopping, also buy an extra-thick mattress pad, as this can add three years of life to your mattress.
10. Prolong the life of your mattress by turning it once a year.